Standards Information Seminar for the Americas
Mar 02-06, 1998 ( Gaithersburg, MD )
The National Center for Standards and Certification Information (NCSCI) at NIST offered its first one week Standards Information Seminar for Latin America 2-6 March 1998. Seventeen participants working in the area of standards information in Latin America attended.
The seminar focused on how to establish and operate a national standards information center. Lectures, demonstrations and shared experiences provided guidance for fulfilling the World Trade Organization (WTO) inquiry point responsibilities under the Agreement on Technical Barriers to Trade (TBT). The invited representatives from Brazil and Mexico made special presentations on how they had established their inquiry points and provided suggestions on how to do this in the countries that had not yet met this obligation.
At the conclusion of the seminar participants agreed that they had a much clearer understanding of the role and responsibilities of an inquiry point and the obligations as outlined in the TBT.
- Gain an understanding of inquiry point responsibilities under the world trade organization (WTO) agreement on technical barriers to trade.
- Learn how to implement or improve national standards information center operations. Acquire skills to index and catalog standards documents effectively.
- Become familiar with computer products and databases and internet services that can facilitate responding to standards-related inquiries.
- Review available resources for standards information including a network of inquiry points and information centers.
- Learn procedures for selling, marketing, and distributing standards information.
|Secretaria de Industria Comercio y Mineria Interior
|Bolivia||IBNORCA (Instituto Boliviano de Normalizacion)|
|Brazil||Instituto Nacional de Metrologia, Normalização e Qualidade Industrial (INMETRO)|
|Chile||Departmento de Comercio Exterior Ministerio de Economia|
|Costa Rica||Information Center for Standards and Technical Regulations|
|Ecuador||Instituto Ecuatoriano de Normalización (INEN)|
|El Salvador||Ministerio de Economia de El Salvador|
|Guatemala||Comision Guatemelteca de Normas|
|Guatemala||Instituto Centroamericano de Investigacion y Technologia Industrial (ICAITI)|
|Honduras||Directorate General for Productive Sectors|
|Mexico||Direccion General de Normas|
|Nicaragua||Ministry of Economy and Development|
|Panama||Direccion General de Normas y Technologia Industrial|
|Paraguay||Instituto Nacional de Tecnologia y Normalizacion|
|Peru||Instituto Defensa de la Competencia y de la Propiedad Intelectual (INDEPCOPI)|
|Uruguay||Instituto Uruguayo de Normas Tecnicas|