Telecommunications Certification Bodies (TCB) Application Information
NIST is the Designating Authority for U.S. TCBs to the FCC.
After obtaining accreditation from one of the NIST-recognized domestic TCB accreditation bodies (A2LA or ANSI), a candidate TCB shall submit the list of documents noted below to NIST at the noted address. NIST will review the information provided for completeness and then designate the organization to the FCC as a TCB.
The FCC Requirements for Recognition of Certification Bodies are outlined at the following FCC website. The documentation provided by the TCB to NIST (the Designation Authority) must demonstrate compliance with the items a-n listed under number 10 of this link.
The information noted below shall also be provided to NIST if the TCB switches accreditation bodies for ISO/IEC 17065 or ISO/IEC 17025 accreditation. NIST will review the information provided for completeness and then submit the updated accreditation information to the FCC for review.
Information/documents required from a TCB candidate
1. TCB information
a) Name of the Organization (TCB)
c) Contact name, title, address (if different from above), email, and phone & fax numbers
d) Identification number (to be assigned by NIST)
e) FCC Registration Number (FRN #) This number should be available from FCC website
2. A copy of the TCBs ISO/IEC 17065 product certification accreditation certificate, including:
a) Name of accreditation body
b) Date of accreditation
c) Expiration date
d) Accreditation standard (ISO/IEC 17065)
e) Scope of accreditation for the TCB program. Please refer to Section 5 of the TCB Program Roles and Responsibilities Document for details on the specific scopes (i.e. A1-A4, B1-B4, and C)
3. A copy of the TCBs ISO/IEC 17025 laboratory accreditation certificate
a) Name of lab accreditation body (A2LA or NVLAP)
b) Date of accreditation
c) Expiration date
d) Accreditation Standard (ISO/IEC 17025)
e) Scope of laboratory accreditation for TCB scope requirements.
4. Submit a written statement obtained from your TCB accreditation body (ANSI or A2LA) confirming:
a) the date and version of the FCC Checklist used as one of the tools for determining technical competency during your certification body's assessment; and
b) that your organization complies with all applicable elements of the FCC TCB Checklist for your scope of accreditation.
For a TCB's initial assessment, the accreditor must at a minimum assess the TCB to all applicable elements of the FCC Checklist. For renewals and periodic surveillance assessments in between renewal assessments, the FCC Checklist can be used as a guide and does not need to be completed in its entirety. The accreditor shall maintain a copy of all checklists completed during assessments and shall provide a copy of the most recently completed checklist upon request.
5. Evidence that the TCB staff has successfully completed the appropriate TCB training with regards to their designation. Refer to the TCB Program Roles and Responsibilities Document for details on what is considered acceptable training. Specify:
a) the name(s) of the personnel who attended the TCB training
b) date(s) and place of the training attended
6. Evidence of compliance with FCC Rules, Sections 2.960, 2.962, 68.160, and 68.162, and Public Notice DA 99-1640 (See Item 10 - k at the FCC website)
7. Evidence of compliance with the TCB Program Roles and Responsibilities Document (See Item 10 - l at the FCC website)
8. Specify the name(s), title(s), and e-mail addresses of TCB personnel that are qualified to perform the following functions:
a) EMC Reviewer
b) SAR Qualified Reviewer
c) General RF Exposure Reviewer
d) Decision Maker
e) Administrative Contact
Please include documented evidence that your ISO/IEC 17065 accreditation body has assessed each employee as qualified to perform the appropriate functions. Refer to Section N of the TCB Program Roles and Responsibilities.
Please send the above information to:
National Institute of Standards and Technology
100 Bureau Drive, Stop 2150
Gaithersburg, MD 20899-2150
Attention: Ramona Saar
List of Accredited TCBs in the United States
To view the FCC recognized TCBs located in the United States, follow these instructions:
(1) Go to the FCC OET Database Link
(2) On the left navigation bar, select the TCB Search link under the Reports tab
(3) Select United States from the Country drop down bar. Leave all other spaces blank in General Information
(4) Hit the Search button
The resulting list will include each TCB located in the United States that is recognized by the FCC. Note that each TCB may be listed multiple times - once for each scope of recognition (such as A1, A2, etc.) it has.